How to enter and edit detailed budget data.
There are 2 ways to get to the Data Sheet:
- On the Dashboard, select any number or category name, they are all hyperlinks that will open the data sheet at that line item.
- Go to Data/Formulas > Data Sheet.
Once you are in the Data Sheet, you can use the dropdown menus (all of which are searchable) to move around your scenarios:
- Select a scenario from your list of scenarios (the pencil icon at the top)
- Select which category to view (drop down at top left) - if you select a group name, Budgyt will display all the categories within that group.
- Select which departments to work with (drop down at top right)
If you have selected multiple departments, or multiple categories, you may see the detail for each by clicking the + symbol to the left of the cost center or category name.
To edit any category, click the pencil icon on that category line. You will see that a number of fields on the datasheet turn yellow. Any yellow field is editable throughout the whole site.
There are a number of controls to aid your input:
- Auto Fill - The arrow to the left of the Period 1 column will take the value for period 1 and copy it to every period.
- Built-in Calculator - Every cell in a period has a built in calculator that is accessed if you type = on the keyboard. Whatever calculation you make on the popup calculator will appear in the cell when you click enter (or hit Use).
- Excel Linking - The excel icon at the left lets you link the category to a line in an excel sheet. You can also access this feature from Data/Formulas > Manage Excel Links. This excel file will be stored on our server and is now part of the scenario so that you may access it from wherever you are working. To learn more, click here
- Spread Evenly - The = symbol under the Actions at the right of the category line will take the value in the Total column, divide it by 12, and fill every period with that number.
- Copy Seasonality - Allows you to change the total, but maintain any seasonality that already exists in the numbers. Just type a new total in the total column and hit the % symbol to the right.
- Notes - Clicking the notepad on the right allows comments to be added - it will turn red when there is note present. Notes will appear as footnotes on P+L reports.
- Attachments - The Document icon allows you to attach any documents (in Word, PDF, or Excel format) that might assist in your users' understanding of the data.
- Percentage Growth - The ^ symbol can be used in 2 ways. At the sub category line, it will apply a growth percentage to each month. At the total line (below the sub category details) it will apply a growth rate to data in either of the 2 previous years, and replace the current year with that data. (You'll need to enter the percentage as a decimal e.g. 10% = 0.1)
- Creating and Deleting Sub-Category lines - The + symbol to the right of the category name will add a blank Sub-Category row. If you wish to delete a row, check the box to the left of that row, and select the dustbin icon on the category row - you must hit Save to complete the deletion.
- Sort by Vendor or Description - using the Up/Down blue arrows in view only mode you can sort the sub-categories by Description or Vendor
- Save - The Floppy Disk icon will save your changes and remove the yellow edit backgrounds from the data sheet.
- Paste Excel - Clicking the Paste Excel icon to the left of the trash can will paste whatever is in your clipboard directly into the Data Sheet. The dialog box that pops up will explain the format needed.
- Delete - The Trashcan icon will delete any sub-category whose check box was selected.
- Formulas - If there is a formula related to the category, you'll see an fx symbol in the category field. Clicking here will take you to the formula edit page.
- Direct editing of formula inputs - Next to the fx symbol there is an input symbol. Clicking on this will show all the inputs to the formula. Click the pencil icon, then click on this input icon, you will be able to edit the inputs to the formula directly in the pop up window.
- Comments - the speech bubble next to the edit tool turns on Comment Mode. In Comment Mode, the data turns blue, and you can click on any data point to attach or send a comment related to that data.
If there are a large number of sub-category rows in a particular category, Budgyt limits the number shown to the first 50. If you need to view more, there is a View More button below the last sub category line which will import the next 50 rows, then another 50 etc.
Or if you want to view all sub-categories at once you can export all sub-category rows using the Excel Export icon at the top right of the data sheet. This will take all available sub-category data for the category or group currently being viewed and download it to an Excel file. If the file is small it will download instantly to Excel. If the file is particularly large, it will load in the Reports Library (Reports - Left Hand Navigation). The same download may be achieved directly from the report screen if so desired, by choosing the Data Page Detail Report option from the drop down menu.