The Data Sheet is where you will view and edit your budget data at the detail level.
To access the detail behind your dashboards and make changes to your data, you'll need to go to the Data Sheet. There are 2 ways to do this:
- On each of our Dashboards, you'll notice that as you move your mouse over the numbers, and over the account names, they all become links. Click on any of them to drill down to the Data Sheet.
- Go to Data/Formulas > Data Sheet.
Once you are in the Data Sheet, you can use the dropdown menus above the data (all of which are searchable) to select different items:
- Select a scenario from your list of scenarios (the pencil icon at the top center)
- Select which category to view (drop down at top left) - if you select a group name (the bold type), Budgyt will display all the categories within that group.
- Select which departments to work with (drop down at top right)
If you have selected multiple departments, or multiple categories, you may see the detail for each by clicking the + symbol to the left of the department or category name.
To edit any category, click the pencil icon on that category line. You will see that a number of fields on the datasheet turn yellow. Any yellow field is editable (you'll see this in various other pages in the trial model).
Sub Category rows - within each category, there are an unlimited number of sub category rows. These are where you will enter your detailed budget items. To add a new row, simply click the + sign on the row next to the Category/Account name (this only appears when you are in Edit Mode).
Please feel free to make as many changes as you like, this is your trial, and we want you to get a feel for how data is entered. If you'd like to see how the data on this screen can be driven by non-financial assumptions and formulas, click here.
There are a number of controls to aid your input:
- Auto Fill - The arrow to the left of the Period 1 column will take the value for period 1 and copy it to every period.
- Built-in Calculator - Every cell in a period has a built in calculator that is accessed if you type = on the keyboard. Whatever calculation you make on the popup calculator will appear in the cell when you hit Enter on your keyboard (or hit Use).
- Excel Linking - The excel icon at the left lets you link the category to a line in an excel sheet. You can also access this feature from Data/Formulas > Manage Excel Links. This excel file will be stored on our server and is now part of the scenario so that you may access it from wherever you are working. To learn more, click here
- Spread Evenly - The = symbol under the Actions at the right of the category line will take the value in the Total column, divide it by 12, and fill every period with that number.
- Copy Seasonality - Allows you to change the total, but maintain any seasonality that already exists in the numbers. Just type a new total in the total column and hit the % symbol to the right.
- Notes - Clicking the notepad on the right allows comments to be added - it will turn red when there is note present. Notes will appear as footnotes on P+L reports.
- Attachments - The Document icon allows you to attach any documents (in Word, PDF, or Excel format) that might assist in your users' understanding of the data.
- Percentage Growth - The ^ symbol on the right of each row can be used in 2 ways. At the sub category line, it will apply a growth percentage to each month. At the total line (below the sub category details) it will apply a growth rate to data in either of the 2 previous years, and replace the current year with that data. (You'll need to enter the percentage as a decimal e.g. 10% = 0.1)
- Creating and Deleting Sub-Category lines - The + symbol to the right of the category name will add a blank Sub-Category row. If you wish to delete a row, check the box to the left of that row, and select the dustbin icon on the category row - you must hit Save (the floppy disc icon next to the + sign) to complete the deletion.
- Sort by Vendor or Description - using the Up/Down blue arrows in view only mode you can sort the sub-categories by Description or Vendor
- Save - The Floppy Disk icon will save your changes and remove the yellow edit backgrounds from the data sheet.
- Paste Excel - Clicking the Paste Excel icon to the left of the trash can will paste whatever is in your clipboard directly into the Data Sheet. The dialog box that pops up will explain the format needed.
- Formulas - If there is a formula related to the category, you'll see an fx symbol in the category field. Clicking here will take you to the formula edit page.
- Direct editing of formula inputs - Next to the fx symbol there is an input symbol. Clicking on this will show all the inputs to the formula. Click the pencil icon, then click on this input icon, you will be able to edit the inputs to the formula directly in the pop up window.
If there are a large number of sub-category rows in a particular category, Budgyt limits the number shown to the first 50. If you need to view more, there is a View More button below the last sub category line which will import the next 50 rows, then another 50 etc.
Or if you want to view all sub-categories at once you can export all sub-category rows using the Excel Export icon at the top right of the data sheet. This will take all available sub-category data for the category or group currently being viewed and download it to an Excel file. If the file is small it will download instantly to Excel. If the file is particularly large, it will load in the Reports Library (Reports - Left Hand Navigation). The same download may be achieved directly from the report screen if so desired, by choosing the Data Page Detail Report option from the drop down menu.