Budgyt has the capability to perform allocations.
For instance, if you wish to allocate an expense from Corporate across multiple departments, you could do the following.
- Go to Data/Formulas > Manage FOAs > Add New.
- Now give your formula a name (eg. Allocate Corp Expenses).
- Your target category will be the expense you wish to allocate, as will your source category.
- Your formula type will be Eliminate/Allocate
- Your source department will be Corporate, and once you select this, if you keep the distribution as Manual you will see a grid of the remaining departments appear, allowing you to make a percentage allocation (expressed as a decimal eg 10% = 0.1) for each department in each month. (if all months are the same, you can use the arrow symbol at the left to spread the percentage across all months. You will need to select each department, or hit select all, to begin filling these fields. If all departments are the same for every month, use the Single fixed value for all selected departments input field.
- If you wish to distribute the corporate expense according to how another category (eg net sales) is spread across your departments, check the Percent of a Category box, and choose the category you wish to work with.
Currently, Budgyt does not allow you to leave any portion of the Allocation in the location that it came from. This functionality will be built shortly.
In the meantime, this can be achieved by:
- Creating a new, dummy department (Settings > Manage Departments > Add New).
- Creating an FOA as above that allocates 100% of the desired category from your Corporate department to the new dummy department.
- Creating a second FOA that allocates that category from the dummy across all the real departments (including corporate) in the desired percentages.